Thursday, November 03, 2005

Gin or Vodka?

Many of you who know me, know a couple things:
1. I love my swimming
2. I love my vodka
3. I really love my vodka

The Chicago Tribune pits two amazing drinks against each other:

Gin martinis are like a good gray flannel suit.

A vodka martini is cool and clean and crisp.

James Bond and my self are fans of the vodka martini. I always wondered why:

A traditional martini is made with gin and dry vermouth, served with either an olive or a thin slice of lemon peel. It's stirred with ice in a mixing glass before being poured. Bond drinks vodka martinis – the same as an ordinary martini with gin substituted for vodka.

The reason 007 likes his shaken is to improve the taste and texture of his tipple. The shaking process causes tiny bubbles. This means that a well-shaken martini is cloudy and therefore less oily than the stirred version, which in turn has an effect on the taste of the drink.

Scientists at the University of Western Ontario in Canada also found that shaking a martini increases the antioxidant activity in the drink, thereby reducing the risk of cataracts, strokes and cardiovascular diseases. This, however, doesn't matter to the actors since all martinis on set are made from pure water.

I don't get Science, but i do understand Mixology!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counters