Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Poor Poor California Rep.

More news from the Congressional Republican's:

Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham, an eight-term congressman and hotshot Vietnam War fighter jock, pleaded guilty to graft and tearfully resigned Monday, admitting he took $2.4 million in bribes mostly from defense contractors in exchange for government business and other favors.

"The truth is I broke the law, concealed my conduct, and disgraced my office," the 63-year-old Republican said at a news conference. "I know that I will forfeit my freedom, my reputation, my worldly possessions, most importantly, the trust of my friends and family."

Cunningham's plea came amid a series of GOP scandals: Rep. Tom DeLay of Texas had to step down as majority leader after he was indicted in a campaign finance case; a stock sale by Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist is being looked at by regulators; and Vice President Dick Cheney's chief of staff was indicted in the CIA leak case.

I remember sitting at Gov. Jim Thompson's house and Speaker Hasstert was there talking about how good all the members were. I believe him, the system is in total chaos. Too much money from special interest. Hopefully both sides can agree that something needs to be done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counters